Today is a day worth remembering. A day worth the tears. A day worth pulling out the scrap book. A day worth celebrating!! It has been 16 years. Sixteen very long and very short years. I use to think that today would be a day I would eventually stop remembering. A day I would only think of sometimes. After 16 years though I have come to realize and come to appreciate that it is a day I will never forget. A day I should never forget! It was sixteen years ago today that my dad passed away. Sixteen years ago today that my life turned upside down. sixteen years ago today that I realized just how important life is. Sixteen years ago today that I learned not to take for granted the time we are given with those we love and cherish!!My dad was loved form the moment he was born. He was lucky to have four brothers that loved him and showed him their love.
A loving mom who raised him and taught him well!
He was raised in the gospel and showed his love to his Heavenly Father from the early years...here giving a primary talk:
From left to right: my uncle Nyle, Uncle Barry, DAD, Uncle Kent and Uncle Lane
Always the goof off
On my blessing day

A loving mom who raised him and taught him well!
He was raised in the gospel and showed his love to his Heavenly Father from the early years...here giving a primary talk:
From left to right: my uncle Nyle, Uncle Barry, DAD, Uncle Kent and Uncle Lane
Always the goof off
On my blessing day
My Baptism day
DAD and his brothers: Barry, Kent, Lane, Nyle and my daddy
Family picture at our favorite vacation spot....Colter Bay in Grand teton National Park
Hiking In G.T.N.P

There are many times my heart still breaks that he is no longer here. Not here to share in my big milestones. Like the day I got married or held my newborn child in my arms for the first time. Not here to wrap his arms around me and tell me that he loves me. Last year I started a new tradition in my house. Instead of mourning the loss of my dad I celebrate his life and the time I had with him. How lucky I am I was able to spend 17 wonderful years with him. I want my kids to know their Grandpa and the funny man he was. Today is most definitely a day worth celebrating! Celebrating life and those we love and cherish!
I made dad's favorite dinner...TaCo'S
Jason had to work late so he was not able to join in our celebration until later...but here are the kids enjoying our dinner
DAD and his brothers: Barry, Kent, Lane, Nyle and my daddy
Family picture at our favorite vacation spot....Colter Bay in Grand teton National Park
Hiking In G.T.N.P
There are many times my heart still breaks that he is no longer here. Not here to share in my big milestones. Like the day I got married or held my newborn child in my arms for the first time. Not here to wrap his arms around me and tell me that he loves me. Last year I started a new tradition in my house. Instead of mourning the loss of my dad I celebrate his life and the time I had with him. How lucky I am I was able to spend 17 wonderful years with him. I want my kids to know their Grandpa and the funny man he was. Today is most definitely a day worth celebrating! Celebrating life and those we love and cherish!






9 comments:
I really need to start that tradition. Taco's on May 11th! Like I said in my blog post i really am grateful to have you all in my life. I loved all the pictures of dad when he was young. no fair that you have them! jk I will have to copt them
I knew if one person noticed my "baptism" picture it would be you. I do remember though that I did wear that same dress.
Summer, that is beautiful! I remember him being such a tease and how much he reminded me of my Dad. Still when I see his picture, I am surprised by their family resemblance. And those taco's looked AMAZING!
Summer - thanks for putting this tribute together of the funniest guy I've ever known! We still miss him so much. I remember that day like it was yesterday - one of the few worst days of my life. What a great tradition you've started to celebrate him. I love all of you and know he is so proud of his wonderful daughters and son.
I love love LOVE that you make this day a celebration! I am sure there are tears (I even cried reading this beautiful post!), but glad you are making him proud and conintinuing the legacy of a fun and great parent, strong in the gospel.
What a great tribute post! Thanks for sharing the memories. We are all excited to see you and your fam in a couple of weeks!
Get outta here with those pictures! Oh my gosh. Sooo cute and sweet. I am grateful you have those to help you remember and cherish those memories. Hooray for celebrating such a wonderful man! I loved looking at the pictures and most definitely can see him in some of your children (especially Anika, I think).
That is so great that you have videos your kids can watch and see their grandpa. I need to do a better job of taping things. We all sure miss your dad - he was hilarious and so fun to be around! Can't believe it's been 16 years...
that's beautiful - really - way to make me start my day with a few tears :)
Summer thank you for that beautiful post. I read Kelly's post and looked for your and it wasn't here. I don't know how I missed it. I still remember this day as if it was yesterday. I will always feel special that you let me be a part of it. I really love your family and think your dad is one of the funniest, nicest men that I know. Heck, he didn't yell at me for ruining his car. I am also blessed to know his daughter. Summer I think you are amazing.
Post a Comment