Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Lights...hanging them does NOT bring out Holiday Spirit!

Ok...for starters...this house is NOT my house. For those in Greeley, you may recognize it. The house is located over in Kelly Farms, and claims to have "over 100,000 lights" in the show. My family and I decided to check it out last Monday as part of our family home evening (a GREAT activity for those families with younger children...get them into jammies...and off you go). This house was amazing! Not only the lights, but the fact that you can turn your radio to a certain station and listen to Christmas music while you enjoy the lights. Then, on the half hour, the lights and music are coordinated into an amazing show. With all of that being said, I am sure you can all see just how this house could be a motivation for a "rookie Christmas lighter" such as myself. But dangit, if this guy could do 100,000 lights with music and computers and somehow doing this without being killed by his neighbors, I could do some simple lighting. So, off to Wal-mart to get the new thing for lighting...LED lights. What a concept! I can string together 91 sets of these lights off one outlet! Who in their right mind would have to string together 91 sets of lights? In this case that would be almost 1500 feet of lights...or almost 2300 lights! I guess this guy needed almost 50 outlets...no wonder he needs his own power station!

Sorry...side track. Well...I am proud to say that after an hour of shopping, and then another hour of prep work and finally an hour of putting lights up...here was the result!!!


Yep...you see it right...ONE strand of lights...25 in total! I put in almost 3 hours and this was my reward? According to my math, the guy above must have started around St Patricks Day to have completed this in time. However, I refused to be discouraged. And, after a decent pep talk in the mirror (I think it scared my children a bit....oops) I got started again.







As you can see...I actually started having fun. It wasn't all that bad. I hung some lights...freaked the kids out by being on the roof, and even got my mom to hang up on me when she called me on my cell and I simply answered, "Hey mom...I am hanging lights and am currently standing on my roof!"...CLICK. And, after all was said and done, I had hung almost 400 lights (I still have "light envy" with the super house above) and they looked good. However, I have 100 more to hang to complete what I wanted. Oh, and the colored lights for the trees...and the hanging snowflake lights for the porch...and the candy can lights to line the drive way...and the lighted wreaths on either side of the garage...and the blow up frosty the snowman for the yard....oh crap...I might be done by NEXT St Patricks Day. Well, the price to pay to have the holiday spirit shining brightly for all to see! The work in progess is below.


7 comments:

The Sports Mama said...

Good for you! Looks like what I need to find is a house like that to motivate my husband into NOT being such a Scrooge about hanging lights!

We get ONE strand outside each year. Right around the door. That's it. My kids have almost quit asking. Almost. :)

Cami said...

Good for you, we didn't get any up this year. I just wasn't feeling it with this house. Although, we do have the inside very Christmasy! My dad used to do one strand when we had a dangerously high roof and we were so embarrased. So, glad you gave yourself a pep talk and finished. I know you have that blowup decoration, is it gonna make an appearance this year?

TisforTonya said...

ours are all over the plants - but I have to wait for hubby to get the ones attached to the roof.... something about needing to be a bit taller ?

Logan and Ashley said...

They look great. I wish I had the guts to get on my roof. Hey while you are here playing ping pong sometime how about you hang our Christmas lights...? :0)

Lauren said...

The lights are great! Please don't fall and break a bone though! haha. Joseph had like 80 degree weather to put our lights up. ;)

Ryan and Chantelle said...

Summer this is great. It is fun to stay in touch with the blogs.

bmhansen said...

sweet lights. i remember taking my boys to that house in greeley last year. they already asked me about going back this year. luckily we have a house that does the same thing here in utah. it is amazing how people do that with the computers and stuff.

maybe when we are there for christmas we can come see your lights - they better be awesome. good luck with that Clark W. Griswold!