Saturday, May 23, 2009

undies or panties...

All parents dream of this moment!! Now I know some of us may agree and disagree on certain parenting issues, but this one I'm positive we all agree on. We count down the days wondering if and when it will ever come, especially if we have two in diapers. That's right I'm talking about being potty trained. Now I don't think we look forward to the training part just the trained part. What a glorious day that is when it finally arrives. Jackson is the first boy I have had, and I must admit I was a little nervous when it came to the potty training part. Everyone has told me boys are so much harder to train than girls. My girls really were quite easy. Taylor, my constant over achiever, potty trained herself. I walked in one day to find her sitting on the toilet and she never went back to diapers. I have known for a few months that Jackson really was ready. He KNEW when he had to go to the bathroom and would just go hide. I had had enough of this. So I set out on my mission to get this boy trained. I never bought one of those fancy little pottys with my girls. I figured they were just a waste of money when I had a perfectly good toilet they could use. But I thought maybe this time I needed one, since boys are you know so much harder than girls. I was positive that if Jackson had one of those cool toilets that played music when you went that he would be hooked! Well Jackson did use that potty, just not the way I intended.



He would use his potty as his candy holder, you know for those Elmo watching parties. He would put his licorice in it and use it as his bowl. So I guess I proved my own point that it was a waste of money. well last week I had had enough. I woke up almost two weeks ago, on a Tuesday, and had a heart heart with Jackson. I told him he was a big boy and that he needed to just go in the toilet. And that was the end of that. He just started going in the toilet. It was as if that was all he was waiting for. I even let him wear his undies to the store that day. I am proud to say he has mastered the art of going in the toilet, he has not had one accident! (well he still wears pull-ups to bed, he's not that good)


So there he is sitting on the toilet like a champ, with his licorice bowl smiling proudly at him in the background. Look how proud he is...I must say I was smiling just as big as he is....I'm down to one in diapers, WAHOO! So it appears that my biggest problem now is calling his underwear undies in place of panties. I had three girls before Jackson so panties is the vocab I have always used with them. But seriously how manly is panties. He already gets his nails done, wears his sisters dresses and lets not forget all the times he parades around in high heels with his purse over his shoulder while pushing his baby in the stroller. So I will do my best to refer to them as undies so that all his manhood is not stripped away. Way to go Jackson!!

7 comments:

Lopez Life said...

Even though I am a couple years early, I am a little nervous about potty training Cade. Cali was a pain in the butt, but Zoey trained herself.... so I hope I get another Zoey with Cade lol
congrats!!

stephanie said...

ha ha I am having the same problem with my boy I am potty training. My oldest is a girl and I am so used to saying panties.

In case you are wondering, I am bored and blog hopping. My cousin in law is tonya C.

Cami said...

Wow, can I order one of those children? Thanks for rubbing it in! I guess you deserve at least that with all those kiddos. I love that he used his toilet as a bowl, that is too funny! And, I can't believe you have boy underwear mixed in your laundry now. How exciting!

Tonya said...

We always stuck with the term "undershorts" - sometimes shortening it to unders - or shorts... but hubs thought anything ending in "ies" was intrinsically feminine :)

My boys were SO much easier to train than my girls... or maybe it's because the girls were at the end of the crowd and by then I was TiReD!

TisforTonya said...

ermmm... lest you be WAY confused - since now my cousin's dropping by - the above comment is mine too... darn that other account that I accidentally signed in to!

Megs said...

Wahoo for you! I am a bit jealous but happy for you. Ellie is not potty trained... I am. We go about every two hours which keeps her out of diapers and pee and poop off my floor. But if I forget I am in big trouble. Let's just say we have become experts on how to clean those things off of just about anything.

Christy said...

Cute Jackson! He is such a good sport when he's around all is sisters and putting up with them painting his toenails and dressing him up. Lets just hope you don't catch him trying to do those "girly things" to Carter!